Wednesday 4 May 2016

Commission 4: Episode 4: the Cone of Shame (Wish I was Invisible) Woman steps up... And down

Ohai!

Been a while, eh? Yeah, I know. I'm a baaaaad blogger. I spent a few days learning how to use a damn airbrush. but more on that some later time. We are here with business, so let's get to it.

After a few failed airbrushing attempts (still shit at it, but might get better soon) I decided it was time to come back to the brush and finish the Commission 4 (aka the Paintastic 4 after ms. Cone of Shame).

As it has now become customary, it's time to see the amazing, ultra high definition, super detailed reference pictures I was sent for Ms. Ariad (that's her actual name) Cone of Shame I wish I was Invisible woman.

.

.

.

.

.

.

Ready?

.

.

.

.

.

.


Fuck me sideways

 COOL! Right?

The first thing I liked about Ariad (her Commission 4 code name is WAY too long), was that she wasn't all grey and black. That was nice. what I didn't like though... See that cone of shame? see that spider web pattern on it? FUCK. THAT. SHIT. Seriously. You don't have the SLIGHTEST idea on how hard it is to do them right. Also, to get them all, like, every single one, I would have had to cut off her head, arms and that metal wingy bit on the back. Nuh-uh. Not again. No.

Now look at the reference pic again. Just for a moment. Something looking wrong? Something questionable? Here, I'll help you out:

That some Vasarys Targaryen shit right there bruh

 I mean... She seems like this weird spider mummy queen of sorts, right? then WHY THE HELL IS HER HEAD GOLD? Still don't know, and after I finished painting her, to be honest, I don't really care. I've found that it's not healthy to care about backstory a lot, especially when you are provided none. Anywho, let's get to business. No, really this time.

Since I'm a bit special lately, I only took the first pictures of Ariad after the first coat of paint was applied. The colo(u)r Administratum Grey was used for her mummy parts:

Hey, you can see the difference in this picture!

Not in this one though

After that I looked at the small cardface picture I was provided. And I saw purple. Do you see purple in that picture? Go on, scroll up and check it out again, I'll wait.

Yup, that's purple!

Oh yeah, added the gold bits too. Again, forgot to take in between pictures, I'm SPESHUL

I don't like painting metallics all that much. They are a bitch to dilute properly, too thick when not diluted and they make my brushes almost unusable for at least 10-15 minutes. Also, it's nearly impossible to paint small details using those metallic paints.

See those details on her chest? Did it in only 5 tries!

See that collar? The one with golden spider web pattern? FUCK THAT COLLAR.
So yeah, that's pretty much it for Ariad, the Cone of Shame (Wish I was Invisible) Woman. All I needed to do was some minute clean up and apply some wash, to give that robe of hers some depth.

All in all a pretty nice miniature, but the worst mold up to date. It was horrendous. It was a pain. But I pulled through and finished it, right? Right. Now, for the moment you've all been waiting for. I present to you, THE COMMISSION 4!



That is it. They're done. Next step - basing, which, according to Mr. Commissioner Extraordinaire have to be hand painted rocks (like a cobblestone street or some shit like that). Basing tutorial? BASING TUTORIAL!!!!


Till then,
Banshee Legend
The Painter


TFCTBY!






No comments:

Post a Comment