Saturday 23 April 2016

Commission 4: Episode 3: Mr Bendy Staff becomes an amputee, and why I hate painting Fantasy Flight miniatures

Ohai!

It's that time of the week again, and today I got around to painting another one of the Commissioned 4. It was time to paint Mr Bendy Staff (heheh). Now, before we start, it's become a custom for me to show you guys the reference picture I was given. Wanna guess?

.

.

.

.

.

.

Well?

.

.

.

.

.


Yup

Derpity!

With a couple of reverse google searches I found a bigger picture and found out his name. Rylan Olliven.

Now, before I start going through the painting process (face painting tips coming!), I would like to vent. Or rant. Whatever.

The game these miniatures belong to, Descent: Journeys in the Dark 2nd Edition is made by Fantasy Flight Games (which we will call FFG from now on so your little blog reading eyes don't get too tired of long names). For those of you who don't know, FFG make a lot of quality board games. Many of them include miniatures, and those miniatures are amazing. Truly. But they are not made to be painted. and I'm not talking about all the excess plastic I need to cut and file before I take to the brush. The poses are crooked. The molds are somewhat silly (like the gap between the front and the back of a robe being filled with plastic) and a little retarded to say the least. The plastic is soft, bendy and (something I learned from the interwebz, thank god) start melting and deforming if a hardware store primer is applied. In short, it's a god damn nightmare to paint them. Parts that are supposed to be different colo(u)rs touch each other, and that wouldn't be an issue if the plastic wasn't that bendy. Why, you ask? Because every time you bend a plastic part to paint around it, it either deforms or breaks. Or both.

This was the deal with Rylan here. His staff was in a position that required me to bend it around (hence the name) and I almost broke it twice while cleaning the excess plastic and molding lines.


You can see the staff bent in this picture

That means I would have to amputate Rylan's right hand, paint everything, and slap that hand back on him. So that's what I did. Snip Snip!

I'm just glad it was his hand-staff that needed cutting


Okay boiz and girlz! Time to get to painting. If you ever decide to paint a miniature with a face and don't have a lot of experience with it, do this: Paint the whites of the eyes first, then the iriseseseses, then paint the face over. Like this:






Hair, beard and staff painted


With that done, it was time to paint the cape. I even bought a new colo(u)r blue for it! After the first layer of paint it looked a bit fluorescent, which gave me a bit of a shock.

Oh yeah, painted the shoes brown too

Sure glad the second layer fixed that.

As people say, when in doubt, add another layer (they don't say that)! After that was done, his garments were in dire need of some paint! Colo(u)r grey (Administartum Grey from Games Workshop) seemed to do the trick.

Also added eyebrows. No man is complete without eyebrows.

Then it was time to stick the poor guy's arm back. And, of course, wash! This time I used two of them. My beloved brown for his garments and a purple for the blue cape (again, purple is still better than black, since it doesn't have that glossy oily finish). After the washes were dry, I painted some highlights on the back of the cape to make it look three dimensional.

To add to that, my lovely lady helped me decide on a highlight colo(u)r for the cape.



It seemed I was almost done with this, but Raylan still needed some brushing up. I took out my shiny metallic colo(u)rs and painted some details for his garment and staff. Some drybrushing with a lighter shade of brown was done on his boots and gloves as well.



Now that Raylan looked like a man of stature, it was time to finish up with his staff. Since the reference picture showed it as if it was made of stone, a colo(u)r dawnstone was used on the Ram Head and washed over with some brown wash. And here is the final outcome:

Mr. Raylan Bendy Staff

Well, after all this ranting and painting, it's time for me to go to rest. Raylan is now in colo(u)r, my back is hurting and I really need a smoke.

Till next time,
Banshee Legend
The painter

TFCTBY!


No comments:

Post a Comment