Sunday 17 April 2016

Commission 4: Episode 2: The Human I Torched My Extremities lights up. Also, Medieval Thingamajig gets an update

Ohai!

So it was time to paint another person from the Commission 4. And since I found out some backstory about it, I chose to paint the Human I Torched My Extremities, as he is the brother of my first painted mini, the Medieval Thingamajig (fans of the Thingamajig, there's a little surprise for you at the bottom!).

DISCLAIMER: This post is image-heavy.

I started out with him the same way any other mini - choosing colo(u)rs. The reference pictures sent to me were, again, a card face and an already painted miniature in a whopping "xl" size. I'll let you guess the colors of the miniature, besides the fact the dude's head and arms are on fire, which include red, orange and yellow.

.

.

.

.

.

Well?

.

.

.

.

.
NO, he's mostly gray and black.

Card face. BRUTAL-ER!

Again, original size picture

Since I like painting with colo(u)rs that range a bit farther than the beloved book of many single moms around the world, I looked at card face picture, squinted and saw purple. You know what I said to myself?

TIME TO DO THIS!

Again, I start out with the base colo(u)rs - the ones that will dominate on the miniature.






Red and purple, yay!

Moving on, I wash the whole robe with a black wash (remember what I wrote in the last post? DO NOT USE BLACK WASHES. well I didn't listen to myself and had a lot of cleaning up to do afterwards) and add colo(u)r in the chest piece and the scarves (I guess).

Yes, the colo(u)r is different from the stock miniature.

I mean, look at his head. See the difference? Me neither.

And then... The flaming extremities! I have to confess, I haven't painted anything even remotely similar to a fire before. So I took a few colo(u)rs that you can see when looking at flames and went for it (I hope some of you are thinking ooooh, he's a true professional...). So again, step by step:

Red!

Orange!

YELLOW! P.S. It's starting to sound like a Power Rangers episode...

After the colo(u)r yellow and when the flames were looking decent I applied another layer of brown wash, which made the flames look 3d. I also added the wash on the chest piece and the scarves.

I looked at the card face picture again. He had a ton of tiny gold details on his chest piece and on the lower (red) part of his robe. This meant I had to smear my nose print on my lamp's magnifying glass. Maybe one day I'll add a picture of me doing that, but before that time comes, this is the finished gold detailing:

Note the detailing on the bottom (red) part of the robe. DISCLAIMER: these are not my fingers. P.S. someone compliment my lady's miniature holding skills and manicure pls.

Beautiful, isn't it? This seemed like the finishing touch the Human I Torched My Extremities needed. So I cleaned up the glossy robe a bit and sent my work to the order-placer-man.

He said cool.

Okay, cool. Here's the finished (base-less, since I am planning on doing a basing step by step) miniature:

Cue Darth Vader's (™ & © Disney, I guess) NOOOOOOO from episode 3

Still looks like a chick to me... -A friend

This was pretty quick, only took about an hour from start to finish. Now onto the Medieval Thingamajig. I had some tiny shields left over from my earlier miniatures (Games Workshop is good for one thing - they add a lot of option parts that can be re-used for a greater good):

Tiny shields

I sent the order-placer-man this picture, saying that Mr. Medieval Thingamajig still looked unfinished and if it was cool to add a shield to his empty hand. Not only did he say cool, he also sent me a picture of a god damn card in the game, that gives the guy a god damn shield:

Gotta love board games, eh?

He insisted that I make the eyes of the skull red. Now there's a thing you have to understand... the shield is 4x3 god damn MILLIMETERS in size. IT'S GOD DAMN TINY. The whole miniature measures a tad over 22mm. So I took some super glue (the plastic cement does not work after you have already painted the miniature) and stuck that thing on his extended arm. I must admit it seems more like a buckler than a shield, but it does give Medieval Thingamajig the completion he deserves. The question still stands though - can I make the eyes of the skull red?

CAN I MAKE THEM RED?

What do you think?


Fuck YES, I can.

The shield painting was pretty straight forward - Evil Sunz Scarlet (in other words, plain bright red) spots where the eyes are, Ironbreaker base (also known as gunmetal, same one I used for his armor), Brown wash (Agrax Earthshade) and some Mithrill Silver (plain silver in non-Games Workshopian) for the edges, visible bolts and to make the skull ornament literally pop out.



Brutal? Yes. Red less-than-a-millimeter-wide eyes on the shield kind of BRUTAL!

That is all for today.

For episode three I have prepared Mr. Bendy Staff (heheh).

Till then,
Banshee Legend,
The Painter

TFCTBY!

1 comment:

  1. Your lady's miniature holding skills are almost as awesome as her manucure ! :D


    (100M iskies on a private wallet, as usual, right ?)

    ReplyDelete