Sunday 17 April 2016

Commission Rant, aka NO FREE SHIT, EVEN ON THE INTERNET.

So I'm at work minding my own business. I open up a local miniature wargaming club's page to see if I received any private messages. I did. One random message from a user registered today. Red flag.

He's asking me to do some commission painting, 30 miniatures, tabletop quality at least. I calculate it to be at least 210 EUR. My monthly pay is 245-ish. Big fat GREEN FLAG.

He tells me he's from Lithuania, just like I am. Green flag.

The miniatures are to be painted in 3 days. Yellow flag.

I tell him it would cost extra. No reply.

The triange of Truth


A few minutes later I get a new thread of  Private Message saying he would take these miniatures to a store in the United Kingdom, where they would be set up on a display, visible to everyone.

I say it's cool, but he hasn't aggreed on a price, and I won't take up on a project, especially an urgent one, without a quote and a "yes".

Then I get a message back, that translates to something like this:

I won't be paying you, but the miniatures will be displayed in a big wargaming store, so I would get a ton of Exposure. In a country half way accross Europe.

I send him a big fat rant, trying to be as polite as I can. I check back later, and I can't find any response. In fact, I can't find any of the previous messages. I look up the nickname I had written down on a piece of paper, there is no such user. I don't know if I'm dreaming or not.

Haha fuck NO. (copyright The Oatmeal, etc etc.)
MEGA PRO TIP FOR EVERYONE LOOKING FOR A COMMISSION: Dear would be commission people (don't know the word, commissioner seems weird in this setting), if you want a miniature painted, it will cost you. It takes paint, brushes, tools, time, and most importantly SKILL. A skill you do not possess. It isn't free. So please, either accept the fact that people charge you money for stuff you can't fucking do, or paint/make/whatever them yourselves.


And I thought clients in my retail job are mega douches.

Rant over.

Till next time,
Banshee Legend
The Painter

No comments:

Post a Comment